Jigga man is successful at all phases of life. Whether your critiquing his music, wife, finances, and business ventures Jay-Z rules all. Jay-Z stepped out into unfamiliar territory, and has started Roc Nation Sports. Jay has signed Robinson Cano(MLB), Skylar Diggins (WNBA), and Geno Smith(NFL) in a short period of time. As Jay’s empire continue to grow the haters will follow suit.
The NFLPA started to complain about Jay-Z and Roc Nation Spots an started an investigation for allegedly breaking rules (http://www.businessinsider.com/jay-zs-sports-agency-trouble-with-nfl-2013-5).
Young athletes in all genre’s of sports are more than likely fond of Jay-Z’s music. Since he is idolized by his peers, and others his empire is likely to build faster than what your average sports agent company would. The complaints will continue, and the naysayers wont’ be able to do anything about it.
Jay-Z is as smart as it gets when it comes to business, and he will make sure he is taking an ethical approach in building Roc Nation sports.
With most athletes being apart and growing up in the hip-hop culture it looks like it is a win win for Jay-Z and Roc Nation. Since Jay-Z is more in tuned with this generation of athletes I can bet my last dollar that he is striking fear in many other sports agent companies.
The rumor mill has been cooking up the last few weeks and you know what that normally intels, mass rumors that make no sense and some that you hope happen for good or bad. Word on the street is the 49ers have been asking the Jets about injured star CB Darrelle Revis. Which makes some sense figuring all the picks the 9ers have for this years draft.
I will be the first to say that with all of the free agents at the cornerback position it could make this deal less likely to happen. We also know about his money demands but we won’t go into detail about that.
Fellow 9ers fans remember the last superstar CB they made a play for? Yep,”Primetime” Deion Sanders. “Primetime” didn’t get acquired via trade but it still was a huge impact move even it was for only one year. When they acquired the Hall of Fame CB the won their last Super Bowl something the current 9ers team were so close to capturing last year.
If the 9ers pull the trigger even if it’s for one year will the 9ers fans get a repeat performance? How much do you give up for Revis? Does his ACL injury scare you? Do we play hardball because the Jets are openly trying to trade him? Or do we say *uck it and just try to sign one of this proven pros that are a plenty in the free agent pool?
If it does happen 9ers fans like myself will be ecstatic and ready to compare the 2013 team to the 94 even if it makes sense or not. We know Revis Island isn’t Primetime but in 2013 I wouldn’t complain if he put on a 9ers uniform. Bring Revis to San Fran so we can have shades of a shutdown CB.
Revis come to Death Row, I mean the 49ers!!!
Many years ago And 1 mix tapes were selling like hotcakes. Players such as Skip to My Lou a.k.a Rafer Alston, Main Event, A.O., and Hot Sauce had many of us looking like fools attempting the basketball tricks that they use to pull off on the And 1 tapes. My metabolism wouldn’t let me be great on some, but I could pull of a few. Other than Rafer Alston I always thought that Alimoe a.k.a “The Black Widow” was the most talented ball player amongst the group. Alimoe stood at 6’8 and had a rush hour handle. Alimoe was a rival to Rafer “Skip to My Lou” Alston in the streets of New York. After Alston became a solid starting point guard in the NBA, Alimoe and the other And 1 Ballers took on the challenge of playing against local playground legends on a tour around the United States. Alimoe recently passed away, and we wanted to post a video to show his abilities on the court. Enjoy! R.I.P. “Black Widow” You’ll be missed.
We haven’t done a “When keeping it real goes wrong” piece in a while but an action last week has fired up the stove to cook up a post.
Tampa Bay defensive end Da’Quan Bowers was arrested last Monday for having a loaded gun on him in LaGuardia Airport in New York. They say Bowers has the gun registered and he may have a CCW for the weapon but in New York you have to be for certain you are covered, just look at the Plaxico case.(This isn’t as bad as the Plax case but you get the point) Whatever registration he had didn’t help in NY.
I understand having protection football player or not there are some bad people out here but why bring the gun to the airport? Why put your career in jeopardy? Did he have beef in NY? (Just joking with the last question) I don’t know why he made the mistake but he could pay royally for it.
Bowers is facing second degree criminal possession which is punishable anywhere from 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison. Hell of a situation to be in for the third year defensive end to be in.
Bowers has had a rough first two years in the league and this situation could do more harm than good even if he doesn’t get any time but we all know NY doesn’t play when it comes to gun charges. I personally wish Bowers the best of luck because nobody was hurt during this situation.
We(I) did this post last year so we are back for another go round. This year we will dig a little deeper into the 49ers/Ravens game that took place in the Nola. Being that I’m a 9ers fan I could highlight about 10 plays but I’m narrowing it down to 5. We all saw Beyonce shut it down and soon after the lights in the dome went off also. Ron did a post last week stating the 9ers would win but it didn’t work out that way as the Ravens won SB47 34-31 in a game that had two drastic swings. Let’s go over a few plays that decided Super Bowl XLVII
These are the 5 plays we went with (feel free to agree or disagree with the plays)
5. Ahmad Brooks offsides penalty in the first quarter- This penalty was on a 3rd down which was an incomplete pass. The Ravens were ready to settle for 3 but because of a free play the next play goes to Boldin for 6. Big momentum swing.
4. LaMichael James fumble- After turning a 7 yard loss to maybe a 1 yard gain the Ravens did a great job stripping him. The 9ers were driving the ball in on the Ravens side of the field at that point they were down 7-3. It seemed like they would at least put 3 on the board.
3. Whitner jumping the underneath route on the Jones touchdown- During the 56 yard TD by Jacoby Jones he smoked Chris Culliver. Cully got smoked don’t get me wrong hell he was getting torched all game but when you see the replay he was supposed to have help over the top by safety Donte Whitner who jumped the underneath route leaving Cully in no mans land. This score was right before halftime putting the Ravens up 21-3.
2. Ed Reed not getting called for offsides during the 2 pt conversion- After the infamous Nola Blackout the 9ers cameback from 28-6 to get the game to 31-29. The 9ers went for a 2 pt conversion, Ed Reed was coming for a safety blitz and it looked like he was in the neutral zone which wasn’t called he blew the play up in the 9ers were sent to the sideline. Who knows if they get the conversion but the flag should’ve been thrown.
1. The no call on Michael Crabtree in the endzone- 4th and goal with the game on the line, the Ravens bring the house and Kaep tries to hit Tree on the fade route. When the ball is in the air Jimmy Smith damn near bearhugs Tree which led to a no call. You have to throw the flag refs because who knows if the 9ers score still if it’s thrown but the said thing is after seeing the replay of the play on the other side of the field Delanie Walker gets tackled which also didn’t get a call. Comeback falls short.
I have a question how does a player get to push a ref in not get thrown out of the game? But all in all I can’t be mad at the Ravens they came out gunnin’ I’m more mad that my 9ers came out sleep walking on defense.
Congrats to the Baltimore Ravens, the Super Bowl XVLII Champions.
Hi Roger Goodell and owners,
My name is Jesse Smith and I have been watching the NFL games all year. Do you care about how your product looks on the field? Is this how a company runs its corporation when it is worth over billions? I want to start off with hey I know I have no pull, weight, juice or power to get this fixed but I can complain. I want to make a few points to why you need bring the regular officials back.
- The replacement officials are costing teams wins. What’s one loss? It could be the difference in making or missing the playoffs. Let’s see if last nights blunder comes back to haunt the Packers, yep the defensive player had the ball first but it still was called a TD or will the iffy kick comeback to bite the Patriots? Those are just a few of many situations that stick out.
- Injury risk is skyrocketing. Yes, football is a violent sport but these refs are missing when players are being forced down causing them to take more punishment than they need to receive. I saw the refs miss calling Matt Stafford down and it caused him to get creamed twice.
- Some of the refs are misplacing the ball giving up more yards than actually earned on some penalty calls.
- The replacements don’t know all the calls. We all have seen miscalls, hesitation and uncertainty with damn near every call made.
- Games are taking 4 hours to get finished without going into overtime. The Pittsburgh/Oakland game didn’t go off til past 8 pm eastern time, yeah shocked me too.
I could make the list go on and on but I’m going to stop here. I know the regular refs are not perfect and miss calls also but with them being out for these few weeks it makes the common fan appreciate how good of a job they actually do. Goodell please get the regular zebras back, pay them whatever they want, health and viewing pleasure depend on it. We have a lingerie league ref out there does that even make any sense?
P.S.-Help us as a people enjoy football again, PROTECT THE SHEILD man!
To quote the great Marshall Mathers aka Eminem “Will the real slim shady please stand up, please stand up?” Just insert Lakers Power Forward Pau Gasol’s name in there.
Gasol is one of the most skilled big men in the league nobody can deny that but with great power comes great responsibility, *a Peter Parker quote. With his skill set he should be more assertive on both sides of the court but most of the time he fades away like Kobe on the baseline.
When Gasol is on his game he can score on the post with either hand, shoot the face up jay, hit 3′s if needed, pass with the best of them , even lead the break and control the glass. Which is what the Lakers need if they are going to get to their 4th NBA finals in the last 5 years.
When Gasol is off his game he becomes passive to a fault and allows smaller , more rugged players push him around.
Case in point is game 6 against the Nuggets he had a 3 point and 3 rebound game off of 1 of 10 shooting with 6’6″ Kenneth Faried guarding him most of the game. Which just can’t happen. Game 7 Pau played much better (23 points, 17 rebounds, 6 assists and 4 blocks) which was a key reason they won the game.
Gasol had a great streak when he arrived to the Lakers where he always played great in the playoffs until he ran into KG in the finals in ’08. We questioned his toughness and he came back with avengence in ’09 and ’10 during the back to back title run. Gasol even faced his own demon as he out played KG in the 2010 finals.
After the 2011 season we all thought Gasol would not play as soft as he did once before and then the 2011 playoffs happen where he let Dirk lock him up as the Lakers got swept. Yes he let Dirk lock him up he mind was all over the place because of rumors of his personal life but still that’s no excuse just ask Kobe.
The Lakers are legitimate title contenders but if Gasol doesn’t play with fire every game from here on out it could make their goal a lot harder than it already is. Which Gasol will show up is a question that Laker fans will ask before each game. Which is sad because if the bad Gasol shows up after the season the Lakers might not have another ring and he might have another team.